Wednesday 26 June 2013

Today's roundup...including a mating dance

In case you haven't guessed by the title, I'm struggling to think of what to write about today. So I'll write about what I did today and hope something remotely amusing presents itself. I have to be quick because I'm going to a pub quiz tonight.

In case you're wondering, I'm totally awesome at pub quizzes. Although I do tend to put my hand up when I know the answer, which is probably a bit weird.

I was meant to be going with some of my Journalism classmates, but most of them pulled out. "Slackers," as my tutor said.

My tutor was also very interested in a strange aspect of the story I did today. I went to the zoo to write about a new bird called an Australian Brolga, which apparently is known for its mating dance.

I did not get to seen this mating dance. Probably because I am not a female Brolga. Which is just as well, because I don't think Brolga can participate in pub quizzes.

Fun fact: we're pretty sure the plural of Brolga is Brolga. Pretty sure.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the story because I managed to get it written within an hour. My tutor then rearranged the whole thing, but I must admit it sounded better when he'd finished with it.

The newspaper sent a real photographer with me and everything. I was quite excited.

My voice recorder threw a tantrum and my pen died. But it was all ok in the end.

I'm not going to say too much more about the story now but I'll post a link tomorrow.

Sorry for the uninteresting post, here's two videos of Brolga doing a mating dance to make up for it.
This one is better quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUWZplzbumw
But this one (after the first ten seconds or so) is funnier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJVmINmtZg
My favourite bit is when they kiss/try to kill each other.

Love,
Jess
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment