Thursday 20 June 2013

Come one, come all, step right up...it's time for the introductions to be made.

Hi. I'm Jess.
I'm 18. Female. Poet. I play guitar. I try to be a good person, just the same as you. We're not all that different really.

They say you can learn a lot about someone by their surroundings. Well, I'm going to put that to the test, using my five senses on my surroundings in an effort to tell you about myself. This could quite possibly be the most brilliant thing you read all day. Oh yes, I've got high hopes indeed.

A quick reminder, the five senses are sight, touch, taste, smell and sound. The sad thing is I almost forgot sound. Let's move on before the terrible puns start.

Sight. I can see posters on my wall, magazine pages, children's drawings, and even a couple of pieces of my own artwork. One of the posters is the famous "Footprints in the Sand". Oh, and there are glow in the dark stars and the like above my bed, because I've always wanted glowing things on my ceiling. I have glowing faeries on my cupboard door at my Mum's house. I can also see lots and lots of books. I'm reading The Book Thief at the moment, but I can't see that. I can see my much loved and battered copy of Catch-22 though. Catch-22 and Fight Club are two of my favourite books.

Touch. Well, from where I'm sitting I can touch the rug, my laptop, my soft bedspread, the floor, my phone, my hair (which is not nearly as awesome as Alex Kingston's hair), my shoes, the washing, and my giant whiteboard, which I've just finished cleaning. Touch is kind of a redundant sense in this exercise, isn't it?

And so we move on to an equally useless sense for the current task - taste. I can kind of taste spaghetti bolognaise (my spell checker refuses to recognise this word so I'm going to spell it however I like), which I COOKED. This is surprising and I hope you have your impressed face on because cooking is not my schtick (a wonderful word taught to me by my friend Jackson of http://www.jacksonjwood.com/. You should check him out. But not like that.) .

Smell. Now this one will tell you a bit about me, but not in ways you might think. Right now I can smell nail polish remover. This is partly because I am clever and figured out (through trial and error and a bit of scientific knowledge) that nail polish remover will remove vivid from a whiteboard. However, it is also because I left the lid off the nail polish remover and spilt it on my favourite rug. And then proceeded to leave the lid off of the nail polish remover and spill it on my favourite rug again. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.
Side note: I have since put the lid on the nail polish remover and taken to wondering how I have a favourite rug when I'm ONLY EIGHTEEN.

Lastly, sound. I can hear classical music downstairs, which is great because I actually like classical music.
Side note: all teenagers secretly like classical music, they just don't want people to know it.
I can also hear the TARDIS materialising. Except that it's actually my ringtone for my phone, which is disappointing, because I'd rather have a TARDIS than a text message. Or a phone.

Now it's your turn!
Pick a sense or two (or five) and use it to tell me about your surroundings in the comments!
Or just let me know what you think!

Lots of Love,
Jess
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment